Palais Auersperg

Palais Auersperg Vienna was planned and built in the early 18th century by the famous Baroque architects Johann Fischer von Erlach and Lucas von Hildebrandt. Since then it has always been playing a central role in European politics, music and social history.

History of Palais Auersperg

The Baroque palace was named after Johann Adam Prince Auersperg, who bought the building in 1777. As a close confidant of Emperor Maria Theresa, he often organized musical events which significantly shaped the leisure time of the former social elite at that time.

During the Second World War, the Auersperg family lived in the upper rooms of the palace and hid resistance fighters here. In 1944, the most significant resistance group was established against National Socialism in Palais Auersperg, the "Provisional Austrian National Committee", which is mainly known abbreviated as "O5". A year later, the Inter-Allied Military police confiscated the building and used it as their headquarters.

In 1953, Palais Auersperg was extended by a restaurant, a winter garden and several function rooms. The 11 magnificent rooms are nowadays mainly used for cultural events and balls. Today the historical building is privately owned.